Friday 6 May 2011

Welcome!


Did you know that in the province of Ontario, high school students need to complete 40 hours of volunteer work in order to graduate? So where to get those 40 hours?

I remember that as a student in high school it was very difficult for me to find a place to volunteer at. I was very interested in medicine so naturally I wanted to work in the hospital but unknown to me at the time, so did many others. When it comes to volunteering, hospitals can get quite competitive because there are many university students who are interested in health studies and who want and need that experience in order to pursue their dream of becoming a medical professional. So when my volunteer application was rejected, I was upset that I didn't get in and I was faced with the uneasy prospect of having to look at other places where I could get the volunteer hours.
As it turned out there were many more instances in my life where I couldn't get a volunteer position. Here are some common complications that make it difficult to get a volunteer spot:

1) You need to be able to commit for at least 12 months.
2) You need to come in the morning-afternoon during a weekday.
3) You need to have a car.

You may think "Well hello! I'm the one who is giving away my time here for free!!!".  Yes, but unfortunately in many cases organization can accept and train only certain amount of volunteers and sometimes they need their volunteers to be able to travel.

I started this organization because I wanted to help people, students in particular, to find volunteer opportunities that will fit them.

I believe it is important to get a placement that you will enjoy and that will fit with your interests and schedule so that you can get the most out of it. I hope to cover many different aspects of volunteering and shed some light on various tools that are available to you while also sharing my own volunteering experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment