Monday 9 May 2011

Mind, Body, and Soul

Today, I would like to talk to you a little bit about where I volunteer and how I got there. I currently volunteer at a small charity called Mind Body and Soul Self Help Support Centre (MBS).  It is a community based organization that is involved in  improving the lives of individuals who suffer from mental-health issues.  The centre holds various support programs on education, physical fitness, and nutritional counselling. These programs are designed to promote a proactive approach to mental health. You can read more about MBS here: http://www.mindbodyandsoul.ca/

As a volunteer, I  help out with the funding application process. But because the organization is so small and the nature of my job is so flexible, I really have the chance to get involved with a lot of different things. While working there I also became aware of the many small charitable organizations that are constantly looking for volunteers. Now I have been lucky enough to have positive experiences pretty much everywhere where I volunteered before but quite a few times I ended up doing things that I didn't really quite enjoy. Most notably, cleaning and filing! That's why I can't stress this enough, volunteering is what you make of it, and you can really have a great time as long as you pick a place which fits your personality and interests.

How I got to MBS was really a coincidence. I was looking to volunteer in my community and saw an add for this volunteering website: http://www.getvolunteering.ca/
This website is great as it allows you to pick both your area of interests and where you would prefer to volunteer. Now, I had some difficulty with narrowing down my search in terms of location, that's why I consider myself lucky that I found this position at MBS. Really, it was the only position that fit both my location and interests! That's why, I hope to share more volunteering resources as time progresses in order to help you find what you are looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Hey VolunteerShark Getinvolved Team here. So excited to read that you were successfully matched to an opportunity with our Matching feature.

    We are currently looking to interview successful volunteer matches made through the site. In fact there has been some interest from the media in featuring some of the connections made on Getinvolved.ca. If you are interested please email me at negaarh@getinvolved.ca or give me a call at 416-361-5907.

    ReplyDelete